Monday 4 July 2011

Calgary Bands For Cause Part 1

Calgary Bands for Cause Benefit 4 Fundraiser was held on Sunday June 19, 2011 at the Kings Head Pub Calgary (9116 Macleod Trail S), all proceeds were split between four local charities The CJAY 92 Kids fund, Calgary Women's Emergency Shelter, Calgary Interfaith Foodbank & The Calgary Humane Society. This benefit ran from 2pm - 2am and featured 22 local bands. The Kings Head Pub Calgary is an awesome live music venue and the management and staff worked very hard to make this event a success. You can find them through their facebook group Kings Head Pub Calgary or their website www.kingsheadpub.ca! The third fundraiser in a series organized by "Calgary Bands for Charities", The first one "Calgary Bands for Japan" was a massive 2 day event featuring 34 bands , the second "Calgary Bands for Slave Lake" was cozier with only 14 bands. Putting this one, at least in size, right down the middle somewhere. We raised $4000 at this benefit, bringing "Calgary Bands for Charties" fundraising total to $19785.00 in a 14 week period. There are far too many people involved to mention everyone by name but a huge thank you to everyone involved for working their butts off to make this happen. Watch in the coming weeks for the "Calgary Bands for Charity" facebook page where you will be able to see all the volunteers, bands, venues and organizers involved in these events. A special thank you to my good friend Terry-Lee Bharti who had the dream and pulled us all together to make it happen.


It all started at 2pm with a local acoustic solo artist Kevin Castator. He performed some of his original music for us, you can find a video of him on my youtube channel, details regarding my other sites and pages will be at the end of this blog post. Kevin is very easy to listen to and was the perfect opener for a Sunday afternoon event, you can find most of Kevin's music at Reverbnation under The Kevin Castator Band.

Next up was Whyte Wydow..fronted by Jessy Davidson, watch the video in this blog post and I am sure you will agree, this woman can wail! These guys and gal performed a mix of covers and originals and I enjoyed every one of them. From the Double Vision Foreigner cover to Escape, an original Whyte Wydow tune. Whyte Wydow is currently going through some line up changes and are promising us a killer new sound. These guys have a facebook page and can also be found on reverbnation.


Third set of the night (day?) featured a husband and wife team who regularily play around Calgary with a band called BlackSnake Moan..performng for us under the name Spirt Quest, Dawn and Shane used to perform under this name quite frequently a few years back and had put it to rest, we are very happy that they have revived it. We like to call them a modern day Sonny and Cher..Dawn has an amazing voice and they have some awesome originals, the one that stood out for me was the one that I recorded, the very first song Shane wrote specifically for Dawn to sing called "Fires of Hell" You can find BlackSnake Moan on reverbnation and you can find my video of them on my youtube channel.


On we go, Due to "life happening" the next time slot was a struggle to fill but after posting on my facebook wall the need for someone, anyone, even a guy and a guitar..that's exactly what we ended up with, Holmz Grown! I do not have any info on this guy other than his name was Chris and he's a pretty great singer and guitar player. Special thank you to Scott Duiven for bringing him to us. There is also a video of Chris on my youtube channel, I hope to learn more about him for future events and blog posts.

The next band up is called All Hands on Jane. Two young Calgary girls who I saw perform at the Boonstock Band Warz here in Calgary. I believe this benefit was the girls 8th or 9th public performance. With Teri on guitar and main vocals and Tess on Drums and back up vocals, these ladies performed 6 of their originals..the video I recorded is of their song Breaking Hearts. All hands on Jane has been playing around Calgary on an increasingly regular basis. You can find All Hands on Jane through their facebook page as well as myspace. These girls are young and just starting out and I am really looking forward to watching them grow. Great job girls!

How do you follow two very sweet talented young girls..how about with some high energy glam rock courtesy of Lixx and Kisses. I previously wrote about these guys when they performed at Calgary Bands for Slave Lake..this full costume and make up 80's tribute band knows how to party, not only did they perform some of my very favorite 80's tunes like Looks that Kill,Round and Round & Talk Dirty to me, as well as one of my all time favorite tunes Fantasy, which I recorded and posted to my youtube as well. There is at least one video per band that performed at this event posted to my youtube, with unfortunate exception of one, which did not turn out, all 31 videos I shot are posted to my youtube channel. Lixx and Kisses once again stuck around for the duration and can be seen dancing, jigging and moshing their way through the day in most of the Calgary Bands for Cause Videos.

I have also written about this next band before in my WICKEDAWESOME fundraiser blog post. Stanger Than Fiction, these guys are a really rocking band doing a great range of tunes, still don't know much about this bands background, other than Carrin is a smoking singer and Matt , the guitar player, used to play in Silentpanic, Stranger than Fiction can be found gigging all over the city. Check out their group on facebook for more information. Every song they performed on this day was awesome but my favorites were All my Life and Pretender. Here's a peak at what this band is capable of:


Next we went into an acoustic version of More Bad News, these guys play around town alot but I haven't had a chance to catch up with them yet, I hear the full out version of the band is awesome and I do intend to catch up with them soon, I however loved the acoustic stuff they did. So much so that I am posting their video as well!

Songs like Have you ever seen the Rain, as seen on the video, Till I am Myself Again, Heart of Gold, Yellow, they even threw in That's Alright. Love that Elvis tune! Keep track of where these guys are playing through their facebook page.

Next up and running along a similar vein was The Hot Tamales. I have absolutely no info on this band and unfortunately their's was the only video that the sound was too distorted for me to post. These guys were great to watch, one of the only bands I have seen with a female bass player, she also did some singing, they did an awesome version of Jackson, that even Johnny and June would have been proud of! As well they did Hard Days Night, Waiting on the World to Change and a few others, I hope to get a chance to see these guys again and find out more about them.

Berkley Shea and the County Boys..what can I say about Berkley that I didn't say when I blogged about him in the Rock the Cure blog post..oh ya , Berkley showed up and informed us that the County Boys could not make it, so he hired an accordian player, and he could'nt make it, so we had Berkley and his guitar and some songs he didn't know the guitar parts for. A little disconcerting for the organizers of the event, but Berkley assured us he was ready to go. And he was, when Berkley hits the stage an east coast kitchen party atmosphere just permeates the bar. If you don't want to watch all 31 videos :o) I strongly recomend you do not skip over the Berkley Shea video, featuring him performing The Night that Paddy Murphy Died and Lixx and Kisses doing the jig!

Last band Im going to talk about in part one is a local Original band called Kingdom of Few, I had never seen them live before this event but at the urging of mutual friends I listened to the songs they have posted on reverbnation and found some video on youtube. These guys are awesome and I listen to them at least once a day! This band is modern rock n roll all the way. I just can't say enough about them. Performing five (?) of their originals, they included my two very favorite songs Rich Man and On the Corner, check out the video I have posted here, as well as the one for Deloreon, which is also a very rockin tune, on my youtube.

That wraps up the first half of the day, all my video shot for the first 11 bands that performed can be found on my Karisoccermom youtube channel or for the entire photo album of the event as well as a youtube link to my vidoes you can go to my facebook page Kari Reding-calgarylivemusic.blogspot.com. Read on in part 2 for the rest of the amazing talent that donated their time to this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment